Red Rising Saga by Pierce Brown (spoiler free)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuzDohnnAIC/

So I have not been hiding my love for Red Rising on my social media. I took some time to think about the books more before I decided to type a full review. This review will cover the first three books; Red Rising, Golden Son, and Morning Star. I am currently waiting to read Iron Gold closer to the July release of Dark Age.

So first things first, you can read Red Rising - Morning Star as a stand-alone trilogy if you really want to. The way the books are written and broken up is almost like two trilogies put together, so while it is called the Red Rising Saga you can think of it as Red Rising trilogy 1 and 2.

A lot of my live reactions where recorded on twitter if you are wondering how I felt after each book and some reactions are on Goodreads but for the most part, I will include everything here.

No Spoilers 

Red Rising - This book was so good I actually started a bullet journal for the next two books to keep track of everything I loved and how I felt about everything. I finished this book so quickly and it was absolutely amazing. This book was like an adult Hunger Games, meets Game of Thrones, with Master Chief from Halo in there. It was a masterpiece. It is also the most unique in the first three books set in my opinion. This book is a complete set up for the next two, a set up I adored. You meet so many characters and Pierce Brown doesn't hold your hand with anything, he trusts you to keep up with it all. If you struggle with this one because it is "too much like hunger games" or "doesn't feel like a real sci-fi" just hang in there, this book is completely different from the next two in the series. In the same token if this book is too hard for you, then you aren't ready for the next two in the series. I loved the main character so much and this book gave me Fall of Reach feels and that's exactly what I wanted. I came into this book knowing nothing and I highly recommend that for everyone. Come in with no knowledge and just learn as you go.

Golden Son - For every high, there is a low three times worse. You have been warned. This book... I was afraid of this book. That is the best way I can put it. I have never been too scared to read on in a book before but Golden Son did it. Golden Son is the real introduction in this world and what it is all about. I... this book made me sob, really sob, and I hadn't done that due to a book in a long time. This book makes you question morality and who is truly the bad guy and who isn't. What makes a person do what they do, what drives them, what breaks bonds in people, what forms them, and who can you trust? This book is a roller coaster and if you felt like Red Rising was that way then you aren't ready for what Golden Son has in store for you. One of my favorite moments is in this book and it can still trigger an emotional response from me.

Morning Star - What can I say? Every book you move on too is crazier than the last. This book had moments that hurt my heart worse than any book ever has. This book also had me in denial, it had me crying, it had me yell out NO, but it also had me laughing, screaming YES, and has some of the most beautiful character bond moments I have ever been able to read. The characters in this book are everything to me, they are so tied together, both good and bad, and it is amazing. This book is about a war and a war is what Pierce Brown gives you, no one is safe, nothing is certain, and war is messy no matter whose side you are on. I cried so hard in this book I had to put it down, but my favorite moment from the whole series is in this book and its a scene I will never be able to forget for the rest of my life.

Pierce Brown - This author is up there with Jay Kristoff for me. Just wow, I was so impressed with his character development specifically. I loved the world he made but I ADORED the characters he made. Also, he is the first author to insult me by calling me a pixie on twitter and I loved it. It amazing he started writing Red Rising while he is in college and I can't believe what he was able to create. This world was the breath of life I needed in Sci-Fi books. Also, as someone who loves space THANK YOU FOR MAKING IT REALISTIC.

Do Not Go Looking For Spoilers 

Okay, my friends, don't you dare go looking for spoilers and please be careful when looking things up. Don't even look into characters or character art honestly.

I mean it, this book is amazing but if you have any of the events that happen spoiled for you the book will not hold the same weight as it does for those who got to experience it without a complete lack of knowledge of what was about to happen.

Trust me, because you won't see things coming and that a part of the experience.

With that said, I hope you all pick up this series, for those who have already read it LET'S TALK ABOUT IT and as always happy reading!





Comments

  1. Hands down my favorite sci-fi series ever and I've read A LOT of science fiction books. So many feels in this series; I think it's time to read through again :). Great recap, and here's to Pierce writing many more (in Darrow's universe or otherwise). -Fellow Howler

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment